View Full Description
The Teenage Engineering OD-11 is a carefully re-engineered version of the legendary ortho directional loud-speaker by Stig Carlsson from 1974, now with a built-in computer, 100 watt amplifier and the latest WiFi technology. It's upgraded to play all your music, from any device, in wireless stereo. The unmistakeably warm and relaxed Carlsson sound has returned. Re-created from the original technical drawings, the modern version of the OD-11 has the same dimensions and volume, with a high quality cabinet and black grille, as when it was launched in 1974. When it comes to the sound, the ortho directional speaker principle is more relevant than ever, delivering the same great sound as it did 40 years ago. the genuine Carlsson sound.
Thanks to its built-in technology and WiFi capabilities, the OD-11 works out of the box with airplay on Mac, iPhone, iPad and Apple TV, as well as on Windows with iTunes installed. When playing music from Spotify on a mobile device, a digital token is sent to OD-11 telling it to handle the streaming so you can turn your mobile device off and enjoy the music.
The Stig Carlsson Story
In all its simplicity, Carlsson's quote reveals the secret to why his speakers came to revolutionize the world of hi-fi. Stig Carlsson's competitors designed their speakers to generate great audio output in a completely muted and echo-free anechoic chamber. In such a room, a flat frequency response curve could be achieved - the proof of a pure and direct sound. There's just one small problem with this approach: nobody actually lives in an anechoic chamber.
If you put a conventional speaker in a regular home, you will get a completely different result than you would in an anechoic chamber. Instead of a beautiful, flat frequency response curve, what you end up with looks more like a downhill slope. The sound is distorted by the multiple reflections, and by the fact that the sound waves keep crashing into each other, causing them to reach the ear at slightly different intervals. The brain interprets all this in the only way it can: as poor quality of sound.
Ortho (Sold Separately)
Ortho remote is the wireless remote control designed for the OD-11. With the Ortho remote you can adjust the volume, skip tracks, and pause your music from any room. The Ortho remote has a magnetic back so you can attach it to anything magnetic, while the non-slip bottom ensures stability on almost any surface. Experience real 1-click music, with a usable range of up to 20 metres.
"A beautifully minimalistic cuve with guts that are equal parts retro and modern. It combines uncompromising hardware design with a sense of simplicity and fun - and it sounds absolutely fantastic". - Nathan Ingraham, The Verge. Winner of Best Audio at CES 2013.
- Speaker Principle: Ortho Directional, Flow Optimised Bass, Reflex Duct
- Frequency Range: 28 - 24,000 Hz
- Materials: High Density Board, Reinforced PA 66, Wire Steel Mesh
- Design Features: Single Multi-Configurable Design for Left/Right or Auto Placement. Left and Right Power Cord Canal
- Tweeter: High Efficiency, Ferrofluid Cooled Neoodymium Cone Tweeter
- Woofer: Long Throw Pulp Cone Woofer with Magnetic Short Circuiting Ring
- Amplifier: Ultra High Efficiency Design
- Wireless: Beam Forming WiFi Technology, Bluetooth 4 Low Energy
- Inputs: 3.5mm Stereo In, Optical In
- Interface: Plus/Minus Button, Function Button, RGB LED, Left/Auto/Right Selector Switch
- General Power Requirements: AC 110-240V 50-60Hz, Universal Power Supply
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 262 x 272 x 262mm
- Volume: 10 Litres
- Weight: 7.5kg
- Colour: Red & Black
- Accessories: Ortho Remote, Wall Bracket (Available Seperately)