View Full Description
How the SM7B got so famous
You might wonder. What got the SM7B into such high regard? Well, it’s the fact that you can point it at anything. And you get incredible sound. The proof? The list of places it’s been used.
It was the basis for the searing Arctic Monkey’s single ‘I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor’. It was even the weapon of choice for Quincy Jones’s team when recording Thriller. All because, it makes it simpler to record something special.
Why is it so simple to get a great sound?
The brilliance of the SM7B starts with its ability to isolate a single sound source. It only picks up what’s directly in front of it, through its cardioid polar pattern (forward focused sound detection). Which means you can just point it at something and get recording.
And it doesn’t really matter what you point it at. The SM7B can record almost anything in spectacular quality. Thanks to a frequency response that extends up to 20,000Hz. Resulting in a sound that is uniquely detailed among dynamic microphones.
The SM7B can also withstand profoundly loud sound. Capable of sound pressure levels of over 180dB before distorting. That’s the same level as a Space Shuttle when it launches. So you won’t have to worry about your amp stack, drum kit, or singing close to the microphone.
In addition, the SM7B keeps those hard to capture low frequencies too. Made possible by a large diaphragm and plenty of space behind it. Translating the natural power of voices, guitars, and more.
Coming through loud and clear
If you’ve ever listened to a podcast or the radio. There’s a very good chance you’ve already heard the SM7B. Indeed, it’s the microphone of choice for The Joe Rogan Podcast. You’ll discover in your recordings, that the SM7B gives you crystal clear, uncompromised recordings.
That’s because a humbucking coil, stops interference from electronics. Being close to computers, mixing desks aren’t a problem for the SM7B. Something else that reduces interference, is the built-in pop shield. This means your sound is protected from plosives, breath noise, and environmental sounds.
All of which means, your intended sound source is recorded in sparkling quality. No interference, no outside noise – just the music.
Quality you can see, hear, and feel
The SM7B is not a fragile thing. Its high-end sound is matched by a high-end construction. The matte black chassis is built using steel and an aluminium enamel. And there’s internal ‘air suspension’ that stabilises the microphone, so you won’t get any impact noises. So you won’t have to worry when it’s getting used in the studio or on stage.
You can also make EQ changes quickly. There’s two switches on the SM7B, one that rolls off (reduces) bass and another that boosts presence (mid/treble). These switches push the SM7B into new territory, from a warm, humane sound into a more energetic, hyped up sound. It’s just another string in the bow for the SM7B, that makes it so well suited to recording in studios.
Included In The Box
- 1 x Shure SM7B Studio Microphone
- 1 x A7WS Detachable Windscreen
- 1 x RPM602 Switch Cover Plate
- Flat, wide-range frequency response
- Bass rolloff and mid-range emphasis (presence boost) controls
- Graphic display for response settings
- Improved electromagnetic hum rejection
- Internal 'air suspension' shock isolation
- Highly effective built in pop filter
- Classic cardioid polar pick-up pattern
- Rugged, robust construction & cartridge protection
- Yoke mounting with captive stand nut
- Type: Dynamic
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid
- Frequency Response: 50Hz - 20kHz
- Impedance: 150Ω
- Sensitivity: -59 dBV/Pa - 1.12 mV/Pa
- Switchable Low Cut: Yes
- Connectors: XLR
- Switches: Bass Rolloff and Mid-Range Emphasis. Slotted Response Selector Switches
- Cartridge Shock Mount: Internal Air-Suspension Shock and Vibration Isolator
- Swivel Assembly: Integrated, Captive Nut For Ease Of Attachment To Stand, Fits 5/8 in.-27 Thread
- Case: Dark Grey Enamel Aluminium and Steel Case With Dark Gray Foam Windscreen
- Dimensions (H x W x D) 198.7 mm x 117 mm x 96 mm
- Weight: 765.4 g