View Full Description
John Petrucci and Mesa Boogie
John Petrucci is one of the world's iconic progressive metal guitarists, having founded the band Dream Theater in 1985 and gone on to relentlessly produce music and tour the globe. Petrucci has long been an ambassador for Mesa Boogie amps and the JP-2C has been produced to celebrate this partnership.
3 Channels of Mesa Boogie's Mark Magic
Along with many other guitarists, John Petrucci's absolute favourite Mesa Boogie sound is that of the Mark IIC+ amplifier - a design whose circuits have repeatedly featured in subsequent Mark Series amplifiers. The JP-2C is essentially a reissued Mark IIC+ with improved features that Mesa has developed over the decades to enhance usability and versatility.
The three channels are laid out like the Mesa Boogie Mark V, with independent EQ controls, gain, and level. Mesa Boogie has also included various push-pull dials such as a gain boost, presence boost, and a mid-control which gives an active boost when set above half-way.
All three channels are designed to cover the entire range of John Petrucci's signature tone. Channel 1 features a 100-watt, high-headroom clean courtesy of the amp's A/B power amp (as opposed to the traditional Simul-Class power). Channel 2 covers overdriven sounds with a powerful and articulate crunch, featuring the exact LEAD circuit from the original Mark IIC+. This channel is optimized for aggressive rhythms but works equally well as a lead channel. Channel 3 pours on even more layers of overdrive along with a sympathetic compression - perfect for a rich tone with complex harmonic content for liquid-smooth solos.
Dual EQ and SHRED Mode
The JP-2C features two independent graphic EQs, giving incredible scope to tailor the response of all 3 channels. This can be used to sculpt your overall sound or provide a handy alternate tone. SHRED is an additional mode, assignable to the two overdrive channels for increased harmonic content, saturation, and sustain. This mode gives even more options for tailoring your sound and applying it to different styles of playing.
Cab Clone, Reverb, Multiple Connectivity
The JP-2C features multiple speaker outs to integrate with any rig. The Cab Clone provides a cab-emulated XLR output with multiple cabinet voices - perfect for studio recording and live gigging. A headphone out with speaker defeat allows you to play silently, while the tube-driven reverb and buffered FX-loop provide a lush ambience and an ability to integrate your own pedals with great clarity. The included footswitch gives extensive remote control over many switchable functions while the MIDI capability lets you integrate the amp with your MIDI switching setup.
"The clean channel's sweet treble and huge headroom are the perfect foil for aggressive and fast-attacking crunch from Channel 2, as well as the legendary Mark IIC+ lead sound from the supercharged Channel 3. It's a multi-layered distortion that's fat, warm and smooth, but with a vicious edge when you dig in hard…
This can be accented using the pull gain and presence controls, and the Shred switch adds another layer of smouldering harmonic intensity. The reverb is typical Mesa, with a quality that rivals some studio outboards, and the JP-2C's massive power supply translates into effortless volume that soars above lesser amps…
Mesa has pulled off a rare success, teaming one of its biggest ambassadors with a truly killer head that's way better than we could have imagined."
Read the full review on the Music Radar Website
- 3-channel amplifier with preamps from the Mark IIC+
- Dual 5-band graphic EQ - channel assignable
- Tube-driven reverb
- Cab Clone DI output with speaker defeat and headphone output
- MIDI In/Out
- Buffered FX Loop
- 100 watts/60 watts output
- Footswitch and fitted slip cover included
- Type: Valve
- Output Power: 100 Watts RMS Max
- Valves: 4 x 6L6 Power Tubes / 5 x 12AX7 Preamp Tubes
- Channels: 3 Channels / 5 Modes
- Ch. 1 = Mark IIC+ Clean
- Ch. 2 = Mark IIC+ Gain or Shred
- Ch. 3 = Mark IIC+ Gain or Shred
- Channel 1: Independent Gain, Treble, Mid/Boost, Bass, Presence, Assignment Switch for Dual 5-Band Graphic EQs (EQ 1 or EQ 2 - On, Off or Footswitchable), Master Volume
- Channel 2+3: Shred Mode (Assignment Switch in lower right corner of EQ section - MIDI Switchable), Gain w/Pull Gain Boost, Treble, Middle, Bass, Presence w/Pull Frequency Shift, Assignment Switch for Dual 5-Band Graphic EQs (EQ 1 or EQ 2 - On, Off or Footswitchable) & Master Controls
- EQ (x2): (Hz) 80, 250, 750, 2200, 6600
- Master: Power, Standby, 60/100 watts output (rear)
- Rear: Reverb (x3, 1 per channel), MIDI store, MIDI channel
- Cab Clone: Speaker Defeat, Voice (closed/open/vintage), Ground Lift, -10dB/+4dB
- Footswitchable Functions: Ch. 1, 2, 3, Reverb, Graphic EQ 1 & Graphic EQ 2
- Connectivity: Guitar In (1/4''), FX Loop Send/Return, Tuner Out, Headphone out, Footswitch, MIDI In, MIDI Thru/Out, CabClone XLR Out, Slave Out
- Speaker Outputs: 2 x 4 Ohm, 1 x 8 Ohm, 1 x 16 Ohm, Slave Out
- Footswitch: Included - 3x3 - 6 Button Footswitch (Bottom Row: Ch. 1, Ch. 2 & Ch. 3 - Top Row: Reverb, Graphic EQ 1 & Graphic EQ 2)
- Cover: Included - Fitted Slip Cover
- Dimensions: 9 1/4" H x 18 3/4" W x 10 7/8" D
- Weight: 18 .14 Kg